Monday, May 13, 2013

Farewell, Murfee

My husband really likes to make fun of me, but it is true... I am such a dork. My elementary school, Murfee, is closing and being torn down. They are going to build a beautiful, state-of-the-art new school in it's place, which I know will be wonderful for the community, but that doesn't take away the sadness I feel. I started going there in the 2nd grade and can name each teacher I had and tell you where every room was, and most of my classmates. In fact, I still keep in touch with the majority of my classmates. I made SO many friends and memories in that building, and so as dumb as it sounds, the thought of the walls coming down kind of breaks my heart. On Thursday, they invited all current and former students and faculty to come and reminisce. Monica, my mom and I, along with our posse of boys, went and roamed the halls. We got to sign the walls in the cafeteria and look through old yearbooks and class pictures and even talk to a few of our favorite teachers. We went out to the Outside Learning Center for a presentation, where I happened upon a brick with our names on it. As we stood outside and listened to the speakers and closed with the school song, it was evident to me, as EVERYONE sang the school song, that I was not the only one having a hard time with Murfee's impending demolition. It was a special place for so many people. I am so glad I have those memories and that I am one of "those people" that remembers all of the things that made those years of my childhood special.




No comments: